One arm row
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Latisimus Dorsi (Lats)
- Upper back
Performing the one arm row
- Stand partly over a bench, with your bodyweight resting on your left knee and left hand, both of which should be on a bench.
- With your right foot firmly on the floor, hold a dumbbell in your right hand, letting your arm hang down directly in line with your shoulder joint. Let the dumbbell stretch your back.
- Keep your back straight, eyes facing the ground.
- Pull the weight up and in towards your torso. Raise it as high as you can, bringing up next to your lower chest. Your right elbow should be pointing up toward the ceiling as you lift.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
- When finished with the right side, switch positions and train the left side.
- Don't let the weight merely fall as you lower it. Lower weight in a slow, controlled manner.
- Don't jerk the weight up to position. Maintain control at all times.
- Maintain a straight back (natural curve)
Alternative exercises to the one arm row
Barbell bent over rows
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &