Smith machine front squats
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing smith machine front squats
- Stand before a Smith Machine, grasping the bar with palms down.
- Place the barbell behind and below your neck and evenly across your trapezius muscles and shoulders.
- Your back should be straight, your feet hip-width apart with toes pointed forward. Move your feet about 10-12 inches farther forward than the foot position for the Smith Machine squats.
- Squat down keeping your shins close to perpendicular to the floor until your thighs are approximately parallel to the floor.
- You should be looking upwards, your upper torso slightly leaned forward and your lower back slightly curved inward or straight.
- Now stand up to the starting position forcing your hips in and your head up.
- Don't allow your back to hunch over at any time. Try to keep good posture with your upper back straight and your lower back slightly arched.
- Don't allow your knees to move farther forward than your toes.
- Don't squat down farther than your quadriceps being parallel to the floor.
- Don't bounce or jerk your body in an attempt to gain momentum. Always move in a very slow, controlled manner.
Alternative exercises to smith machine front squats
Smith machine squats
Squats (with dumbbells)
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &