COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Pectorals - Lower and outer chest
Performing weighted dips
- Attach an appropriate weight to a weighted belt and wear it around your lower back.
- Raise yourself off the ground and onto parallel dip bars.
- Your hands should be gripping the bar handles with your fingers on the outside, facing away from your body.
- Keep your elbows close to your sides and your knees barely in front of you with your knees slightly bent.
- Slowly lower yourself down to the point where your upper arms (shoulder to elbow) are parallel to the floor or until your lower chest is as low as your hands.
- Raise (push) your body up to the starting position. Hold for a brief second flexing (squeezing) your chest.
- Don't allow your body to swing around and don't simply drop your body down. Resist your bodyweight and lower yourself in a slow, controlled manner.
Alternative exercises to weighted dips
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &