Smith machine lunges
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing smith machine lunges
- Stand before a Smith Machine and set the bar so that it is at about chest height grasping the bar palms-down.
- Place the barbell behind and below your neck and evenly across your trapezius muscles and shoulders.
- Step forward with your left foot about one foot. Step directly back with your right foot about six inches.
- With your upper body remaining straight and leaning slightly forward, slowly lower yourself down until your left leg is bent at a 90 degree angle, so you can still see your toes if you look down at them.
- Your right leg should also be bent at a 90 degree angle, with your lower leg (shin) parallel to the floor. The heel of your trailing foot (right foot) will raise, but your foot should remain in the same position.
- Stand up as far as possible with your feet still in the same position.
- Once your have completed a set, switch legs and repeat.
- Don't let your front knee move farther forward than your toes. If this occurs it means your front food is not placed far enough in front of your body--move your front foot an inch or two farther forward.
Alternative exercises to smith machine lunges
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &