COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing dumbbell shrugs
- Standing upright, hold two dumbbells with arms extended leaning on your sides, palms facing your hips.
- Your feet should be hip-width apart, with your shoulders back and drooped down as far as they will naturally go.
- Your chest should be out and your back should be straight, with a slight forward lean.
- Raise your shoulders as high as possible towards your ears, lifting the dumbbells with arms still straight and palms facing your side. Hold for a brief second at the highest point while flexing your trapezius muscle.
- Return to the starting position by lowering your shoulders down in a slow, controlled manner.
- Don't bend at the elbows and lift with your arms in attempt to raise the weight. You must lift the weight with your trapezius muscles by raising your shoulders only.
- Don't let the weight simply drop to the starting position. Lower the weight by slowly resisting the weights downward force.
Alternative exercises to dumbbell shrugs
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &