Health club and gym checklist
When choosing a health club or gym it is important that you have some idea of what you need from a health club, what a health club should provide and what you'll actually get for your money.
Over the past 5 - 10 years many new health clubs and health club chains have sprung up within the UK. The Fitness Industry Association (FIA) estimate that there are over 3000 health club operators practicing in the UK alone. This means variety and choice but also differences in the health club experiences on offer.
Find your perfect health club or gym
With his in mind it is important that we have some idea of what we should look for in a health club or gym. This checklist may answer some of your questions:
A good quality health club should provide:
- A variety of peak and off-peak memberships
- Two types of basic equipment, resistance and cardiovascular machines.
- A variety of fitness classes covering a wide timetable.
- A swimming pool and sauna.
- Clean changing areas with a good number of showers.
- Qualified fitness instructors who will be available to give advise on exercise and dieting.
- Register of Exercise Professionals qualified personal trainers
- A basic physical assessment BEFORE you exercise.
- Kid's fitness sessions
- A crèche
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &