Lying leg curls
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing lying leg curls
- Lie face down on a leg curl machine with your knees just below or off the bench of the machine and your Achilles Tendon (below calf/above heel) hooked behind the roller pads.
- Your legs should be fully extended with some natural flex at the knees, and your toes should be pointing down.
- Reach and hold on as far forward as possible so that your lower back is unable to arch.
- Keeping your pelvis flat against the bench, raise your heels up toward your buttocks so that your legs bend to about a 90 degree angle and hold for a brief second while contracting (flexing) your hamstrings.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
- Don't let your back or pelvis rise from the bench in an arch. If you notice your back or pelvis is rising from the bench try placing a small pillow under your pelvis and grab as far forward as possible.
- Don't swing the weight up using momentum.
- Don't drop the weight down. Use a slow controlled motion.
Alternative exercises to the lying leg curls
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &