Standing calf raises with dumbbells
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing standing calf raises with dumbbells
- Hold a dumbbell in one hand (same side as calf being worked) hanging down at side, palm in.
- Place the ball of one foot on the edge of a raised object, letting your heel and arch extend off the object stretching as far down as possible.
- Hold on to a machine, wall, etc. with free hand and keep back straight, head up, and leg locked.
- Put other foot next to or behind leg being trained.
- Raise up on toe as high as possible and hold for a quick second while flexing the calf muscle.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
- Don't let hips move backward or forward and don't bend at knee causing momentum.
- Don't shorten the height that you raise up. Be sure to rise up as high as possible and flex your calf.
Alternative exercises to standing calf raises with dumbbells
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &