One arm tricep pushdowns
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing one arm tricep pushdowns
- Attach a single handle to a pulley machine coming from above.
- Stand facing the pulley machine with your right hand holding the handle, palm facing the ground.
- Your left hand should be on your hip, your back straight, abdominals tight, and your feet about hip-width apart.
- Start with the handle at chest height. Keep your right elbow at your side with your upper arm perpendicular to the floor at all times.
- Slowly push the handle down until your right arm is fully extended. Hold for a brief second while flexing your tricep muscle. You can either have a palms-down or reverse grip - both work well.
- Your elbow should always remain at your side and your wrist should be locked straight.
- Slowly allow the handle to raise to the starting position (about chest height).
- Don't let your elbow wander away form your body. Keep the elbow on a "fixed-axis" at your side.
- Don't jerk the handle down. If you have to rock your body or use momentum to complete the exercise, the weight is too heavy.
- Don't let the weight just pull the handle up to the starting position. Control the weight and slowly let the handle rise up resisting the weight.
Alternative exercises to one arm tricep pushdowns
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &