HFI Group Fitness Instructor Courses
The HFI Group (Health and Fitness Industry Group) run a small number of health and fitness training courses. Each fitness course is run inline with the American College of Sports Medicine (ASCM) guidelines for fitness and exercise. The ACSM is a second to none fitness training award. The ACSM is a bench-mark award to show competence in exercise and sports science and health and fitness professionals for clients and employers.
The importance of the ACSM award
The ASCM course is the most rigorous in the industry, requiring the highest level of knowledge and skill and establishing the standard for all other certifications.
NOTE: Other programmes have used ACSM certification as a model, but none has achieved ACSM's high standard.
Certified Fitness Instructor course
The Certified Fitness Instructor qualification is appropriate for those who are seeking to enter the fitness industry as a Fitness Instructor / Personal Trainer and who want a qualification with a higher academic recognition, real experience in the fitness industry and with a totally flexible approach to gaining their qualification.
There are no "pre-requisites" for this course. CFI is the preferred fitness qualification for candidates who want to make a start in the fitness industry, whether they are working towards being employed by one of the more reputable health club’s or setting up their own business as a “personal trainer”.
Course breakdownAnatomy, Physiology
1. Home Study
2. 8-day workshop (5 days for sport / exercise-related degree holders)
3. Work placement (100 hours)
4. 1 day First aid qualification
5. Exam - made up of 1 1/2 hour practical and 2 hour theory
Content of the Certified Fitness Instructor course
All the key elements of fitness and exercise theory is covered, including:
- Kinesiology and Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology
- Components of Fitness
- Communication Skills and Fitness Consultations
- Exercise Leadership
- Exercise Planning
- Instructing the Exercise Session
- Introduction to Exercise Programming
- Health and Safety Issues, including Pre-Exercise Screening, Risk Assessments and Emergency Procedures.
- Promoting and Supporting Participants in Developing Health and Fitness through Exercise
- Answering Clients Questions, Helping with Client Problems, Advice Giving, Information Exchange
- Handling Clients Complaints and Disagreements and Gym Floor Contacts
- Developing your own Coaching Practice
- Code of Ethics
- First Aid Qualification
Certified Fitness Instructor (CFI)– Resource Information
Essential resources are required for study for the CFI. The reading list below includes some of the leading literature when in comes to fitness and exercise, including:
- ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
- ACSM’s Resource Manual for Exercise Testing and Prescription
- ACSM's Health and Fitness Certification Review
- Health/Fitness Instructors Handbook, Howley and Franks
- Exercise Physiology, McArdle
- Kinetic Anatomy, Benke
- Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology, Scanlon and Saunders
- Student Workbook for Essential of Anatomy and Physiology, Scanlon and Saunders
NOTE: As seen by the above reading list, this course is strongly based in fitness and exercise academia. As such this course is best suited to those individuals who a. find reading and studying indepth material enjoyable and b. those people wishing to understand the complex issues surrounding fitness and exercise.
Further ACSM / HFI training courses
The HFI Group offer courses to those fitness and exercise professionals who are looking to further extend their experience, knowledge base, skills and education. One such course is outlined below.
ACSM Health / Fitness Instructor (HFI)
This certification is designed for established and experienced instructors and personal trainers who are seeking to enhance their credentials to the ACSM GOLD Standard. The ACSM Health/Fitness Instructor Certification is ideal for fitness instructors, personal trainers, strength trainers and similar professionals.
A 3 1/2-hour multiple choice theory/practical knowledge exam drawn from all areas of the ACSM HFI KSA
ACSM Health / Fitness Instructor Certification Prerequisites:
- REPs level 3 or HFI Certified Fitness Instructor
- Over 900 hours fitness instructor / trainer work
- Good knowledge of and skill in risk factor and health risk appraisal, fitness testing and exercise prescription
- Practical hands on experience with exercise leadership
- Some experience with negotiating behaviour change
Call us on 0207 231 3981
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &