COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
Performing the leg press
- Sit in a leg press machine with your feet on the platform in front of you.
- Your feet should be about hip-width apart.
- Grasp the handles at your sides and lean back in the chair. Keep your back straight and abdominals tight.
- Push forward on the platform extending your legs in front of you, keeping your legs slightly bent at the knees.
- Slowly lower the weight (platform) towards your body until your knees are bent at about a 90 degree angle, or until your thighs touch your chest.
- Return the weight (platform) to the starting positing by pushing the weight up until your legs are almost straight.
- Don't let your legs come so far back that they spread apart.
- Don't lock your knees so that your legs become straight when pushing the weight up. Alternative exercises
Alternative exercises to the leg press
Smith machine squats
One legged leg press
Squats (with dumbbells)
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &