COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Pectorals - Middle and lower chest
Performing press ups
- Lie on the floor, face down with hands placed at chest level, about 4-7 inches farther than shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, push yourself up extending your arms, without locking your elbows.
- Hold for a brief second while flexing (squeezing together) your chest.
- Slowly lower yourself as far as you can, or until your nose touches the ground. Your back and hips should still be straight, while your elbows point out.
- Don't allow your back to bend or arch. Keep your body as straight as possible.
- Don't just let your body fall back down to the floor. Resist your body's downward force by lowering yourself slowly.
Alternative exercises to press ups
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &