Hyper extensions involve the extension of the spine, thus recruiting the hamstrings and lower back muscles during execution.
Any exercise which involves the lower back should be performed in a strict and controlled manner, and a weight should be sued which is not too heavy for the trainer to handle. It would be best for a trainer who is new to this exercise to only perform it with bodyweight, and only start to add resistance once confidence and strength has been gained.
Performing hyper extensions
- Alter padding settings if needed.
- Position thighs on large pad, hold onto support handles to help you lean body forward to bring the lower legs up towards the rear pads.
- Place lower legs and ankles under rear pad.
- Bend torso over front pad.
- Fully extend at hip to bring torso up, in a controlled manner.
- Lower to starting position.
- Repeat for desired number of repetitions.
Hyper extensions courtesy of Fitness Uncovered - Bodybuilding & Fitness
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &