Front shoulder press
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Deltoids (Front and side)
Performing the front shoulder press
- Sit at an upright (90 degree angle) bench with feet firmly on the ground.
- Hold a barbell across the front of your shoulders with palms facing out, hands about six inches farther than shoulder-width apart and elbows pointing down.
- Your back should be straight resting against the back of the bench, with shoulders back and chest out.
- Press (lift) the barbell above your head until your arms are fully extended, without locking your elbows.
- Lower the weight in a slow, controlled manner back to the starting position.
- Don't rock or sway your body to gain momentum.
- Don't bounce the weight off your neck and shoulders in an attempt to complete the lift.
- Don't just let the weight drop. Slowly lower the weight in a controlled manner.
Alternative exercises to the front shoulder press
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &