COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Deltoids (Side)
Performing side raises
- Stand upright, arms at your sides, holding a dumbbell in each hand, with palms facing toward body and elbows slightly bent.
- Your feet should be about hip-width apart.
- Keep your shoulders back, chest out and back straight with a slight forward lean.
- Raise both dumbbells outward, away from your sides until they are slightly above shoulder level, hold for a brief second. Your palms should be facing the floor and you should have a slight bend in the elbows.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
- Don't use such heavy weights that you can't use good, proper form. The weights for this exercise should be light.
- Don't swing the weights up and then merely drop them down to the starting position. Move in a slow, controlled manner.
Alternative exercises to side raises
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &