COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Latisimus Dorsi (Lats)
- Upper-middle Back
Performing the seated row
- Sit in front of the seated row machine holding the close-grip handles in each hand with palms facing each other (unless you don't have a close-grip bar, in which case hold a bar with a close grip with hand about 6 inches apart, palms up).
- Place your feet on the metal foot rest bar, with your legs slightly bent.
- Keeping back straight, extend your arms for a full back stretch.
- Pull the handles toward your lower chest.
- Keep your torso upright, and elbows pointing behind you while squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
- When pulling bar to your chest, your body should remain in an upright position. Don't lean backward.
- Don't let the weights pull you forward to the starting position. Instead, control the weights and slowly return to the starting position while getting a full stretch.
Alternative exercises to the seated row
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &