Close grip pulldowns
COURTESY OF GLOBAL FITNESS
Major muscles used
- Latisimus Dorsi - Upper lats
- Latisimus Dorsi - Middle back
Performing close grip pull downs
- Sit at a Lat. Pull-down machine (unless it doesn't have a seat, in which case kneel) while holding a close-grip attached bar. If you do not have access to a close-grip bar attachment, use a traditional lat. pull-down bar but hold it with hands approximately 6 inches apart, and with palms facing towards body.
- Allow your arms to be pulled until fully extended upward. You should feel the weight of the machine stretching your back.
- Your upper body and back should be straight, your head and eyes forward.
- Pull the bar straight down until it touches your upper chest while squeezing shoulder blades together and keeping your body in the same upright position.
- Return to the starting position in a slow, controlled manner, making sure to get a full stretch in the back.
- Don't let yourself rise up from your seat.
- Don't let the weight of the bar jerk you up into the stretch.
- Don't jerk the bar down using momentum in attempt to complete the repetition--control the weight at all times.
- Don't let your head move down or your back bend forward when pulling bar down.
Alternative exercises to close grip pull downs
Courtesy of Global-Fitness.com, your Online Personal Trainer
If you're having problems viewing these video demonstrations, you can download the latest version of QuickTime by clicking here, FREE of charge.
Latest health and fitness news
All news stories
Latest quizzes and tests
All quizzes &